Home Learning useful websites April 2020
Self Isolation - Learning
Home learning - Term 4
The home learning expectations remain the same for term 4:
- Reading - we recommend 5 times a week. The minimum we expect is 3 times per week. We appreciate you all have busy periods at times or your child may be unwell so this expectation cannot be met. Please write a short note in the Share Book if this is the case. Your child should aim to enjoy their reading time with you for about 10/15 minutes each time. Reading can involve your child listening to a story being read to them, reading independently, supporting a sibling with reading, enjoying reading a magazine or reading in the world around them. We want to develop a love for reading so please make reading as enjoyable as possible. As one of the weekly reads, we expect your child to read a book online using Oxford Reading Buddy and complete the comprehension quiz. Your class teacher will monitor their progress and this information will be used to support teacher assessments. Weekly reading will be counted for the reading challenge.
The following home learning should still be recorded in the home learning books. The books will be sent home each week on a Thursday and will come back into school on a Tuesday.
- Spelling - Your child will have a spelling rule and a few common exception words to focus on each week (see spelling list for term 3 below). Your child will also be given a paper copy of the spellings to highlight which group of spellings they need to learn. In their home learning books, there should be some evidence of children practising their spellings at home, eg: you might want to draw pictures to help remember the words, use coloured pencils to copy out the spelling words etc. The children enjoy a spelling quiz each week and the results of this are recorded in their home learning books so you can see how they have achieved. The spelling quiz usually takes place on a Thursday.
- English task - An English task will be in their home learning book each week. This is an activity that will be linked to writing skills, grammar, spelling or phonics.
- Maths task - A maths task will be in their home learning book each week. This is an activity that will be linked to an area of maths, eg: counting, addition, place value etc.
- Number quiz - This term we will continue learning 5 x tables to the children. Each week they will have a number quiz so we can monitor how the children are progressing. We will record this quiz in the home learning book so you can see how they are getting on. Please support your child by counting in 2s and beginning to ask questions such as: What do 2 groups of 5 make? What are 4 lots of 5? What is 3 times 5? We will begin to support the children less with these test and expect more in terms of independence.
- Thank you for your continued support :)