Our learning this week
Friday 11th September 2020
This week, the children have been very busy readjusting to the school routines and continuing to engage with the expectations of Year Six work. In English, they have revisited contractions and adverbials, as well as planned and written a diary entry from the point of view of Willie (the main character in Goodnight Mr Tom).
In maths, Year Six children have been exploring numbers up to ten million, considering place value of each digit in an eight-digit number and rounding numbers. They have also been revising factors, multiples and prime numbers.
Next weeks learning:
- Tests – the children will be completing end of Year Five grammar and reading tests, as well as an arithmetic test.
- English – children will be exploring how the heart works and producing an explanation text to showcase their knowledge.
- Maths – children will be studying the four operations beginning with addition and subtraction.
Friday 4th September 2020
It has been wonderful welcoming Year 6 back to school; Mr Houghton, Mr Lilley and Miss Edmunds were delighted to see so many happy faces on Wednesday morning! We have spent some time reminding the children of our Covid expectations and feel they are being great role models.
This week, we have been focusing on Hope. The children have explored some WW2 poems with hope as a theme, discussed the impact of hope and thought what hope might look like or feel like to them. Every child has produced an amazing piece of art representing hope as well as a thought-provoking poem.
From next week, children will be expected to come to school in their PE kits on the day they have outdoor PE. On Monday, Sage and Sorrel have outdoor PE; on Friday Saffron have outdoor PE. We would also like to invite children to bring a personal hand sanitiser into school if they wish.
Next weeks learning:
- English – children will be exploring grammar, such as contractions and adverbials, and applying it to their own diary entry related to our class text Goodnight Mr Tom.
- Maths – children will be studying place value: numbers to 10,000,000, number lines and comparing and ordering numbers.
- Topic – children will research key events of WW1 and name key events.